This guide is for Council-At-Large Group Two (Jacksonville 2011).
The four candidates and their platforms:
1) John R. Crescimbeni (Democrat)
- Served 10 years on the Jacksonville City Council where "he has never missed a regular meeting."
- "He is the only "City Council member who chooses to serve without the help of an Executive Council Assistant, thus saving taxpayers more than $70,000 each year."
- Board member of the Jacksonville Humane Society.
- Has been the "owner of the local Hickory Farms Franchise for more than three decades."
- Was against the "City's controversial $750 million no-bid landfill contract."
- Was against the "unpopular effort to expand Craig Airport."
- Member of Christ's Church in Mandarin.
- Graduated from Bolles High School, Florida Community College, and Jacksonville University.
- Supports Jacksonville Journey.
- "Fought hard against both of the mayor's recent property tax increases."
- Supports "increasing the retirement age for new hires and restructuring certain elements of the city's drop plan."
- Was against the decision to allow "Central Florida to siphon off 155 million gallons of river water each day."
2) Paul Martinez (Republican)
- "Owner of Martinez Advertising Group and a Printing.com franchise."
- Supports "the efforts to land a new aircraft carrier for Naval Station Mayport."
- Advocates charter schools and the "opening of our system to the free market."
- "Endorsed by John Thrasher and the Jacksonville Chamber of Commerce."
- B.A. in Marketing and Management.
- Supports a "repeal of the recent tax increase."
3) Tom Patton (Republican)
- Has lived in Jacksonville for over 10 years.
- A "former television and radio host."
- "Backed by former Mayor John Delaney."
- Supports a "shift to the practice of zero-based budgeting, which would force entities to provide real justification for their budgetary requests."
- B.A. in Telecommunications.
4) Vince Serrano (Republican)
- "Native of Jacksonville's West side."
- Father is an immigrant from Columbia.
- Started ASAP Towing & Storage a family business in Jacksonville.
- Graduated from Forrest High School.
- Veteran of the U.S. Army.