The two candidates and their platforms:
1) Charles Perniciaro.
- "Has never run for political office."
- A medical doctor for the Mayo Clinic.
- Currently serves as Director of Dermatopathology at Bernhardt Laboratories.
- Member of Beach United Methodist Church.
- Has lived in District 8 for 20 years.
- "Raiding the transportation trust fund to keep from having to balance the budget has to stop."
- Supporter of Jaxport.
- Against FCAT.
- "Businesses that intentionally use illegal labor should be prosecuted."
- "State government has to stop imposing unfunded mandates on local governments."
- Supports the state's efforts to block national health care.
- 2d Amendment supporter.
- "Central Florida's proposal to siphon 260 million gallons a day from the St. Johns River has to be stopped."
2) John Thrasher.
- Currently represents District 8 in the Florida House of Representatives and has since 1992.
- Championed legislation such as "Three Strikes, You're Out," "10-20-Life," "A+ Education Plan" and the largest tax cut in Florida history.
- Grew up in Jacksonville.
- Army Veteran (awarded two Bronze Stars).
- Law degree from the Florida State University College of Law.
- Served as general counsel for the Florida Medical Association for 20 years.
- Member of the Clay County School Board from 1986-1990.
- The "driving force" behind the Florida teacher merit pay bill.