The three candidates and their platforms:
1) Mike McCalister.
- PhD in Management.
- Taught college, MBA, and Doctoral Management courses "from Tallahassee to Miami."
- Retired full Colonel with 33 years military service in the Guard, Reserves, and Active Duty.
- Worked in health care for over 20 years.
- A small business owner.
- Has a 9 page resume on his website (click "About Author" on his website).
- Author of his book titled "The Right Future for Florida and You..Starting Right Now."
- "If you fix the education system, the jobs will be there."
- Supports asking specific industries what should be done.
- Would eliminate the FCAT.
- "Doesn't believe the 14th Amendment grants citizenship to people born in the U.S. to illegal immigrant parents."
"Third Wheel" article.
2) Bill McCollum.
- Property tax freeze and a cap on local government spending.
- Lower FL corporate income tax by 1% to 4.5%.
- Provide tax credits for Research and Development.
- Exempt corporate income taxes for certain qualified small businesses for their first 10 years.
- Provide a sales tax exemption for certain high-tech equipment and infrastructure purchases.
- Create Florida's Venture Capital Council and Florida Genesis Fund to increase access to capital. Establish relationships with Florida's universities to profit from projects.
- A Rating from the NRA.
- Develop standards for pre-kindergarten curriculum.
- Phase out tenure by teachers.
- Supports Amendment 8 to "right size the class size."
- Require high school students to take at least one internet class.
- Develop the Florida "Back to Work Program" through competitive funding for programs.
- Against abortion.
- Supports Arizona's immigration law "as amended."
- Require immigrants to carry valid documentation or face up to 20 days in jail.
- Opposes same-sex marriages.
- Offer tax incentives for companies to locate or expand their shipping facilities within Florida.
- Currently the Attorney General of Florida.
- Expanded the Attorney General's Child Predator CyberCrime Unit.
- Law degree from the University of Florida.
- U.S. Navy Veteran.
- Member of the United States Congress from 1981-2001.
"Unveils Controversial Immigration Reform Plan" article.
"Gives Contradictory Views on Gay Issues" article.
3) Rick Scott.
- Institute "Accountability Budgeting."
- Opposed to immigration amnesty.
- Committed to "conserving Florida's natural resources" and preserving the Everglades."
- He started Columbia Hospital in 1987 which is now "the 12th largest employer in the world."
- Co-founder of Florida based Solantic Health.
- Opposes Obama's "government-run public option."
- Supports a state constitutional amendment that prohibits the federal government from imposing Obama's mandate.
- NRA member and supporter of the 2d Amendment.
- "Rick will create jobs by keeping taxes low and limiting job killing regulations."
- In the 1990s, the FBI launched an investigation of the Columbia Hospital which "led to the company pleading guilty to criminal charges of overbilling the government." They "paid a record $1.7 billion in fines"